The shores of the lake, encrusted with pink flamingo, attract more than 400 species of birds, many of them waterfowl or migrants. Large herds of buffalo, cheetah, Masai giraffe and impala roam the lake shores and the forested valley slopes.
A Lake Manyara safari is a fascinating experience, as the park also features a ground-water forest, acacia tortilis woodland and hot springs called Maji Moto. Troops of several hundred olive baboon appear alongside Sykes monkey and short-eared galago. Cape clawless otter, Egyptian mongoose, hippo and klipspringer are other park residents.
- Home to the largest concentration of baboons anywhere in the world.
- Game drives, night game drives.
- Cultural tours, picnicking, bush lunch/dinner, abseiling and forest walks on the escarpment outside the park.
- Manyara provides the perfect introduction to Tanzania’s birdlife. Highlights include thousands of pink-hued flamingos on their perpetual migration.
- Famous for its tree-climbing lions.
- Mountain biking along the lake, including a stop at a local village