Cultural Academics & Field School Programmes – South Africa, 11 days
SOUTH AFRICA – REFLECTIONS ON A UNIQUE ENVIRONMENT
Rock Art, Iron Age & Stone Age sites
11 days / 10 nights
Pricing available upon request
Valid January – December 2021
Africa holds dear the story of life through the ages. It is displayed and described through the time-line of the existence, endurance and adaptation of her people to her landscape, plants, animals and ultimately her spirit. Of people and cultures there are many, but, of a deep-rooted history there is only one, and that tells the story of life, the African Way.
If we seek and explore, there is a living tale of life that is scattered across our continent, rich in cultures, tradition, linguistics, music, dance and story-telling, colour in art, dress and homestead design, jewellery, trade, food and of course, landscape and wildlife. It is this variety in resources that has led to the creation of a fundamental culture – integral to the fabric of our being – it has shaped many facets of African life and has formed an understanding of the world around us. It is unique to where we are, but it is open to those who want to see and experience.
INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE
- 10 Nights’ accommodation, sharing 2, 4 or 6 persons per unit.
- Daily breakfasts or breakfast packs.
- Daily lunches or lunch packs and dinners.
- Coach or overland vehicles for all scheduled travel and transfers.
- All entrances to museums, monuments, cultural and heritage sites as included in the programme.
- Specialist guides & tour leaders.
- Recreational and safari activities as indicated in the itinerary.
NOTES ON ACADEMIC ACCREDITATION
It is important to note that Safari Odyssey is not an accredited academic institution, however we do collaborate with, and enjoy the endorsements of, professional and accredited institutions. The primary role of Safari Odyssey and it’s representatives is to provide a study framework incorporating a variety of fields of study, sites and destinations which is supported by complete logistical support. The framework may be designed as cultural field schools, visual or physical research programmes, in a single or over multiple destinations and including the entire academic programme or parts thereof depending on whether the group will be accompanied by their own “in-house” teacher or not. Safari Odyssey is able to source the relevant academic content as well as local field-specialists and leaders, all of whom are professionally trained or employed. The aim of our Cultural Academics and Field School Programmes is to provide access to South and southern African cultural sites and resources, without intervention, but under qualified supervision within the rules set out in our National Heritage Act, “Act 25 of 1999” and the academic requirements of the participating teaching institution. This product enables either the “student” or “tourist” to, at first hand, experience the specific cultural and historical event/s that is of interest to him or her. Our products are open to tailor-making ie. the course content, academic leaders and presenters, route structure, field of study or interest, location and services can be adjusted and collectively decided upon.
Day 1: Johannesburg
Day 2: Cradle of Humankind (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
Day 3: Cradle of Humankind to Pretoria
Day 4: Pretoria to the Waterberg, Limpopo
Day 5: Vaalwater to Louis Trichardt
Day 6: Mashamba Traditional Village and Schoemansdal
Day 7: Louis Trichardt to the Mapungubwe Cultural Landscape (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
Day 8: Mapungubwe National Park to Pafuri Rivercamp
Day 9: Pafuri Rivecamp via Thulamela to Punda Maria (Kruger National Park)
Day 10: Punda Maria to Letaba (Kruger National Park)
Day 11: Letaba to Johannesburg
- 10 Nights’ 4 & 5* accommodation, sharing – 2, 4 or 6 persons per unit
- 11 Days transfer in luxury minibus
- Daily breakfasts or breakfast packs
- Daily lunches or lunch packs and dinners
- Coach or overland vehicles for all scheduled travel and transfers inc. dedicated driver / guide
- Specialist guide and tour leader
- Cultural content, site visits, presentations & discussions
- All entrances to museums, monuments, cultural and heritage sites as included in the programme
- Recreational and safari / game viewing activities in 4 x 5 safari vehicles as indicated in the itinerary
- Hot air balloon safari in Magaliesberg
- Hotel & airport porterages
- Tips for drivers, guides and trackers
Your visit to South, and the rest of Africa, can enjoy a richness that takes you beyond your exposure to, and understanding of, everyday routine-type travel.